Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 144 - Thanks Treeeees, and Slow roasted Moroccan lamb...Delish

Another ridiculously hot, sticky, humid day. A strange day as well, as nothing happened work wise until about 1.30, then all hell broke loose..............

Usually, (especially in August), we are busy virtually as soon as we open the doors for breakfast, but it's been a strange month, and today was no exception....

It was a really slow start to the day, and apart from a few regulars early on, we were wondering where every one was... Then, at around 1.30pm, the floodgates opened! Absolute madness that continued until 4pm. It would seem that every one wanted lunch, not breakfast today........

Got home at around 4.30pm, and with no work tonight, I decided to make an effort with dinner. I bought a lovely shoulder of lamb and made a rub using some ground cumin, ground coriander, thyme, rosemary and sea salt. It was slow roasted for about 2 1/2 hours whilst I completed my 5th work out. It felt a little easier today for the first time, but the heat was unbearable at times. Although I am in the shade, it is still ridiculously hot and humid. Back to the food...I shoved some garlic in the dish as well, as I love pushing all the sweet, sticky goo out of the skin and eating it! I'm not the biggest fan of garlic, but there's a time and a place! I made a carrot salad by peeling a carrot into ribbons and making a little dressing using the juice of 1/2 an orange and some red wine vinegar, some chopped coriander and salt & pepper. I also stuck some yoghurt in a bowl and added some harissa paste for a bit of a kick... I warmed a couple of pittas in the oven and shoved it all in. Yum! Think it might be going in the book!

Here's a piccy......


Harrison (my 6 yr old son) let me know in no uncertain terms that it should be served with lettuce, cucumber, tomato and sweetcorn. He's eaten far too many kebabs! Being the kind Daddy that I am, I allowed him his luxuries!

Tomorrow is major prep day for me tomorrow as it is 'Set Menu' AND 'All you can eat' night. Not only do I need to prep for the set menu, but I've got to create some interesting stuff for the salad bar. I really hate the whole concept of 'all you can eat' & a salad bar, as its far too reminiscent of a Harvester for my liking, but it pays the rent. I know I say it all the time, but I wish Calpe had a few more foodies and a few less old codgers! I think the main problem in Calpe is the fact that are so many 'old' people. When I say 'old', I suppose I mean set in their ways, as well as their age. They've grow up eating meat and 2 veg, gammon egg and chips and pie & chips and they will never change. When faced with a chance to eat something along the lines of 'Pan fried fillet of cod with sage butter and champ potatoes', they would ask for it to be battered with chips and garden peas... That's the daily dilemma I face... So, I will stroll around the supermarket looking for some inspiration in the morning, and spend the rest of the day preparing it. I will try and remember to take some photos.

I'm off to bed now. It's 1.30 am and still 31C. It's not right. Even with a ceiling fan on in the bedroom, its still uncomfortably warm. Gonna have to save up for some aircon next year!

Before I forget, a big thank you to an old mucker, Theresa, who sent me a very kind and thoughtful message today about the harm that diet drinks can do. I have to confess to being far too ignorant on the subject, but am about to have a session on Google to find out more. I will report my findings tomorrow. I should also say that she has lost approximately 3 1/2 stone in about 12 weeks and I am completely in awe............ Keep up the amazing work Treeees, and thanks again

Nite all
Jimbo


No comments:

Post a Comment