Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 96 - A day of prep in the kitchen..........

Thursday is prep day!  A chance to get away from the trials and tribulations of the cafe and spend time where I really want to be........ my kitchen! I have to be honest and say that until just looking the word up on 'Google' , I had no idea what the word 'tribulation' meant! Its one of those words that I have used as part of a phrase, but never really knew its meaning....... That is, until now! Now I know its meaning, (a cause of great sufering), I cant really say that there are tribulations in the cafe, although if I had any hair, I'm sure it would be grey by now!

So, back to the tranquility of my kitchen. I decided last week that as the Russian salad didn't seem to be that popular, I would do something a little less 'different', so I made a simple potato salad with sweated spring onion and bacon lardons. Very tasty............. I made a simpe coleslaw with the usual carrot, cabbage and onion, mixed it with some mayo and English mustard and then added some sesame and mustard seeds. Very tasty! Finally, a pasta salad made with tomato sauce, yellow, orange and red peppers, black olives and basil. Very, very tasty!! Here's some piccies of them being made and then a picture of the finished article......







I know the pasta looks a little like worms, but I like to try and use different types of pasta. Maybe I wont use this one again!

I did realise something a little strange tonight........ In the days when we were using the 'A la Carte menu', one of the starters was a tomato and basil bruschetta. It was never really a good seller and I could never understand why. Since we scrapped the A la carte, we tried it on the menu of the day and I would say that about 8 or 9 people out of 10 having the menu choose it as their starter. Just another reason why I will never understand this restaurant business........ Here's a picture of the bruschetta, (apologies as it's a little out of focus)......


So, another okay night in the restaurant with 15 covers, added to the downstairs cafe total today made it a pretty decent day all round.

It's 2 am now, so I really must get to bed as it's 'Fish & Chip' day tomorrow....., yipee.....not!

Will speak to you all again tomorrow. Thanks for reading

Take care
Slimbo

No comments:

Post a Comment