Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 107 - A day off.......

A day off spent away from the yucky heat of the kitchen, but stuck in the waiting room of a solicitor, trying to sort out more ridiculous Spanish paper work....

We had a visit from the 'Officina de Employ', (no need for translation there!), who needed some documentation that we have never had. They told us to get a 'gestor', (basically a solicitor), and travel to Alicante in order to update our paperwork. These are the times I could just get on a plane and move back to England. I hate all the ridiculous red tape crap. Its all so the town hall can just charge you for the most stupid of things..... Gets right on my moobs! Do they not realise that to go to Alicante we either have to close or pay someone to run the cafe? The answer is....they dont give a shit!

So we spent over an hour waiting to speak to 'Jesus', (yes, I promise, his name was Jesus!), who told us to give him all the paperwork we have and he will go and sort it. God knows how much he will charge......... (Hope you got the pun there........... God....Jesus....). I will say to those of you unfamilliar with the Spanish language that Jesus is pronounced 'hayzous', but it still makes me laugh. The Spanish also say 'Jesus' when someone sneezes!

We than had to got to our bank and ask them for proof that we had been paying our 'Autonomo', (basically we pay 540€ a month towards social security etc) since August 2009. That took a while! Finally, 2 hours after first stepping into the solicitors office, we were free. It was now 2pm and we hadnt had breakfast, so popped to a local bar/rerstaurant for a bit of tapas..

The restaurant is called 'La Picaeta' and is run by 2 lovely people who cant do enough to make you feel welcome. The food is really nice, so different from the usual run of the mill frozen tapas crap that you get everywhere else. In fact, I trust the food so much that I ate snails today for the first time ever!
I know as a chef that I should have tried these little slimey creatures before, but they've never really appealed to me! Some of the buttery, garlic sauces sound nice, but not the snail! As the tapas are very reasonably priced I decided to risk 1.95€ and try them. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that they are the most amazing thing I've ever eaten, but they weren't offensive at all in the slightest. To be honest, the main flavour I got was the nice tomato sauce that accompanied them. Here's a piccy for you...........


Finished lunch and headed off to the supermarket for the weekly shop. I really miss Sainsburys, Tescos and M&S. The supermarkets over here are shite!! Very little inspiration apart from the odd seasonal fruit etc.... Shop done, unpacked and we then headed over to the new house to have a good old clean before we move in. That was my day off!

Off for a swim now as I didnt get a chance of one earlier, so I wish you all good night and I will speak to you all tomorrow

Ciao for now
Slimbo

No comments:

Post a Comment