Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 86 - The morning after the night before!

I will start with yesterday's events as I could only manage a pathetic attempt at a blog last night! The morning started early as always on a Sunday with the prep for the afternoon's roast. One of our friends sons ( Jamie) had expressed an interest in learning how to cook, so I said he was welcome to come in on a Sunday and see what it was all about. He is only 11, but incredibly mature for his years. I dont think I've ever had so many questions thrown at me in the space of 6 hours before! Bless him. I admire his enthusiam and he is welcome back anytime. He also did a great job serving the gravy!

It was a pretty busy service, but I was a little disappointed that only 6 out of 34 diners ordered my terrine. It really was top drawer, tasty and looked amazing served with cornichons, pickled onions and a rocket salad. I forgot to take a picture of the actual plate presentation, but here's the finished terrine......

I just wish that some of the 'traditionalists' who eat the same thing EVERY week and NEVER try ANYTHING different, would one day just try someting a little out of their comfort zone...... My frustration continues.....

Talking of frustration, we were invited out for a drink by our friends Victoria & Ian (Jaimie's parents) to watch the England game. Another pile of shite! Penalties or no penalties, we're just not good enough......... There was a positive however...... We went to a restaurant called 'La Picaeta', which hasn't been open for very long and ate some really good tapas. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the type of food served in a typical Spanish seaside town, let me tell you that 90 percent of it is commercial tourist rubbish and overpriced. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between. The food last night was exceptional. We were treated to some inventive, beautifully presented food at ridiculously inexpensive prices. There were 2 dishes that stuck out for me. One was goats cheese, caramelised onion, Serrano ham and balsamic syrup on toasted bread at just 1.95€ and the other was incredibly tender steak, onion, melted cheese and foie gras at just 5.50€. Incredible. Had a very good evening, thank you Ian and Vic. Finally got home at 3am and thats the reason for my pathetic attempt at a blog last night!

We felt it this morning having only had about 4 1/2 hours sleep and Laura was in a pretty bad way when we first arrived for work, although she did improve as the day went on. At one point she fell asleep on the floor behind the bar! I have posted a photo on facebook, but I'm sure she would kill me if I posted it on here! Fortunately, it was a slow start to the morning so we didnt have too much to do early on.

Got home, had a swim with Harrison and fell asleep watching Spongebob for half an hour!

Thats my lot for now......

Speak to you all again tomorrow
Slimbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment