Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 64 - Sunday lunch.............

They seem to come around so quickly.................. Another Sunday lunch. It seems like 'only yesterday' that I was telling you all about my slow roasted lamb selling out. Today it was the beef! I have a feeling that it was more to do with the fact that one of the choices on todays menu was an Asian style 'char siu' pork and I think people were put off by it. Here's what it looked like...

If I'm being honest, perhaps it wasn't quite right for a traditional Sunday Lunch, but thats me I'm afraid. I have to try things, I cant just sit back and cook the same stuff over and over again. I have a passion for food, I don't just do it as a job. I have a creative mind when it comes to food and I will never stop trying to achieve someting different. If we all stuck to traditional recipies, the food world would be a very boring place to be. I do think that there is a time and place for traditional, but not the same thing week in week out. Having said all that, I was a little disappointed with the flavour of my pork dish! I felt it should have had a little more honey and a little less soy. These are flavours I know, but I do not use often, so I need to practice a little more! We did receive a really nice comment on our Facebook restaurant page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lauras-at-West-Beach-Calpe/179443228776929) from a lady called Sarah Noakes who wrote 'We came to you today without having booked on the off-chance of getting in - thank you for fitting us in and what a fantastic meal. The pork was absolutely delicious; actually, the whole meal was superb although how we managed to eat our desserts of lemon cheesecake and chocolate brownie I don't know!! Thank you VERY much, really enjoyed it and you are all wonderfully welcoming.' Maybe it wasnt that bad after all!

 It was ridiculously hot in the kitchen today, temperatures reaching 40 degrees, so a very uncomfortably sweaty day. Its only gonna get worse for the next 3 months..... It doesnt help when the gas rings and the ovens are on. All in all though, a very successful lunch (34 covers), with some very satisfied customers. It makes the day a little easier when you get nice comments.

First thing I did when I got home was get my fat arse in the pool, and 2 hours later I was still there. Did plenty of swimming and plenty of nothing! I'm off for a quick dip now as its pretty muggy tonight and it cools me down before bed. I shall bid you all good night and we shall speak again tomorrow

Nite nite

Slimbo!

2 comments:

  1. Don't apologise for trying something different, do it another day, they will get used to it. I would have tried it!! All sounds pretty amazing as usual xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said.......always there for me Sanj xx

    ReplyDelete