Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 212 & 213 - The padded shorts have arrived!!

Hello again! Not much happening in the way of interesting information at the mo, but I'm just checking in with you all to let you know I'm still alive!

Work has been pretty busy in the cafe all week, which is very heartening, baring in mind its the end of October. It is mostly regulars as well, which is also good to know. I was only saying last week that finally, after 3 and a bit years, we seem to have a growing customer base and a loyal one too! Taking into consideration that we are in the bowels of a never ending recession, I think it's quite an achievement. Now I've finished patting myself on the back, I will move on!

I am in an experimental phase of cooking at the moment, both at home for my 'change of eating habits', and for recipes etc for the book.... I am trying to embrace vegetables as much as I can, as I have never really been bothered with them much before. As I've said before, I'm not really sure why, I just haven't. So, I have been thinking deeply about how to use them as much as possible in my everyday routine. It is just another confirmation of how I am still changing my eating habits so that they become the norm. I am starting to appreciate the flavours and the recipes that can be made, just using simple, cheap, and fresh veg. They only need a little something added and they become a complete wholesome and healthy meal. An example would be tonight's dinner. Firstly, I made some 'fat bloke friendly' home made hummus! It really was so simple. I drained a jar of chickpeas and put them in the food processor, along with a little olive oil, lemon juice, water, salt & pepper. I could have added some garlic, roasted pepper, coriander etc, but I wanted it to be simple. I spread the hummus on to a tortilla wrap and then added some grilled aubergine, rocket leaves and some fat free yoghurt which I added some mint to. Wrapped it all up and shoved it down my gob! I have to be honest and say that although I was pleased with the way it turned out, I think that rocket leaves were the wrong choice. Possibly water cress would have been a better bet, or dare I say it.... iceberg! I then noticed that Laura had not used up all her filling for the burritos she was making, so I pinched some of the chicken and cooked peppers and made another wrap! Here's what it looked like...



Sorry that the picture quality is not what it should be, but we are still to sort out the lighting in the new house...

That's it for now. The padded shorts have arrived, and I'm off for a 30 min cycle on the exercise bike!

Speak to you all soon, and thank,s as always, for reading

Jimbo xx



No comments:

Post a Comment