Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 214, 215, 216 & 217 - A good Thursday, an okay Friday, a fantastic Saturday and a good Sunday!

Well, the unfinished pavement works still remain! The eyesore is still outside, but it doesn't seem to be doing trade any harm. For the beginning of November, we're doing pretty well. We will never get back the money we lost during September and October, but at least we're ticking over int he cafe. The figures are up on this period last year, so we'll just keep on plugging away and see what happens...

The restaurant is performing well too, and Thursday night was exceptionally good for this time of year. We had 24 in and I was so pleased that 12, yes, 12, had the set menu! I have added a couple of choices to the menu so that there is a little more choice. It used to be three starters, three mains and three puds, but as more and more people choose it, I can afford to put a couple more options on. This weeks menu looked like this... (forgot to take a picture of it, so had to type it!)


STARTERS

Home made 'Jiminestrone' soup
Tomato and mozzarella salad with Basil oil
Goats cheese, Serrano Ham & caramelised onion bruschetta with balsamic syrup
Home made smoked 'Jimackerel' pate


MAINS

Italian sausage casserole with polenta
Spaghetti with tuna and tomato
Pan fried cod with lentils
Confit of duck leg with cannellini beans and bacon lardons
Tagliatele with bacon and cream


DESSERTS

Home made Strawberry cheesecake
Pears poached in cider with caramel and pecan ice cream
Affogato
Ice cream
Coffee

All for just 11.95€ including a drink!

Everything fresh, everything freshly cooked, everything made with love ....!

Friday was okay... Managed 25 for 'Fish and Chips', which is down on a normal Friday, but still a decent turn out. I think there's many a restaurant that would be glad of those sort of numbers...

On to Saturday and 'Race night'! Every so often, we hold a 'race night' at the restaurant, which is always a cracking night. Hosted by the very talented Matt Mason, it's an evening of horse racing, a bit of fun, a quiz and some grub. I managed to win 7€ on the last horse race and 15€ on the pig race at the end of the night! Good times. Really enjoyed the night, it almost feels like I'm not working on these nights as it's one of the few occasions that I can get out of the kitchen and get involved a bit. A very big thank you to Linda Banks for rounding up a huge group of customers for us too! I owe you a drink or 2 Linda :0)

We served up our usual fayre of Steak, ribs, chicken, coleslaw, potato salad etc, but this time I decided to experiment with the chicken a little. I normally serve chicken breast, but decided to do something on the bone for added flavour and ease of serving. Here's what the chicken looked like. Not a good picture, but....

Carrying on my tradition of renaming foods I 'invent', I have called this one 'JFC'! Didn't actually get to taste one, so will have to make some this week!

Nearly forgot..... I had my weigh in this week, and yet again, stayed the same weight. Less carbs, more exercise required. This plateau is far too long!

On to today and ANOTHER full house for Sunday lunch. We had a table of 8 who travelled for an hour to get to us today from a place called Pego, purely on a recommendation. We must be doing something right... After finishing their lunch, 2 of them booked for Christmas Day!

Got home at around 5.30pm and decided that as the pool temperature was 19C, I would have a little swim! I lasted about 15 mins and then my extremities started to numb, so I got out! It might be the last swim of the year methinks... Just in case there are any doubters out there....


I may not be Michael Phelps, but I do my best!

Ok, I'm off now, its been a hard couple of weeks without a day off and I am relaxing with a glass of Merlot and a game or two of poker.

Speak to you all soon
Jimbo xx


No comments:

Post a Comment