Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 183, 184 & 185 - Roadworks and News!

Well, its Wednesday night, and I'm back! I've been ridiculously busy for the last couple of days - not at the restaurant - but setting up a new little venture... I will talk about it later in the blog!

The roadworks continue! Here a some pictures of the 'progress'...







As you can see, we couldn't even get in the door yesterday morning!

We've had our loyal regulars this week, bless their little cottons, but its been a bit boring! To be honest, we've got a lot going on over the next few weeks, so it's nice to have a bit of a quiet period to recharge the batteries. The 'Moors & Christians' parade will be trundling down our street in about 2 weeks, our busiest night of the year, we have a 'race night' on November 3rd, and then we're in to the Christmas bookings etc, so gonna be busy!

Those who follow my blog religiously will know that a couple of months ago, I had a very interesting and important meeting regarding a possible something! On Monday this week, I had a second meeting, this time with the owner of the possible something and he has promised to give me a decision before the 14th of this month. I really can't talk about it until then, but wanted to share what I could with you all! I think the meeting went well, but I wont know for a bit...

So, as I sat at work with time to spare this week, it allowed me time to think. The one thing that kept cropping up was the ludicrous amount we were charged for the cleaning of our former house. I only joked about setting up our own company at the time, but the more thought I gave it, the more it seemed crazy not to give it a try. We are starting out as a property management company, which will cover key holding, rentals, gardening, general and pool maintainance, and cleaning.  So, I have designed some business cards, (they should be here in the next few days ), and yesterday, we got our first customer! It's only a cleaning contract for 1 villa, but its a start. I'll let you know how we get on with it...

Laura's little business 'Crafted Gift Creations' (www.facebook.com/CraftedGiftCreations/photos_stream) is slowly building, and she has had a few orders already, so please for her. Feel a bit sorry for her as she is spending nearly all her spare time designing and sowing, but it's what she wants to do, so good on her. 

Back to my real job! The restaurant will be open tomorrow, so as always on  Thursday, I will have a load of prep to do, and I will share my creations with you tomorrow. I'm sticking with the confit of duck leg tomorrow, as its proving popular. Here's a piccy for those of you that haven't seen it yet...


I'm thinking of doing a Roquefort, apple, walnut and rocket salad as one of the starters, and I think I'll 'pimp up' the bruschetta a little by using black olives and oregano in the bread mix.  A minestrone with pistou will be the third starter. I'm going to do spaghetti with  a 'deconstructed' pesto as the second main and some pan fried cod with dijon mash as the third. Puddings will be poached pears in cider with a caramel and pecan ice cream, apple crumble and 'Affogato'. The pears sold really well last week and are in abundance and very inexpensive at the mo, so it seems silly not to use them. Although I like to change and rotate the courses, sometimes you just have to let the produce decide for you. I think the 'affogato' looks really nice too, and the customer gets to chuck in the espresso and cointreau themselves, so a bit of something different. Pictures of it all tomorrow. Again, if you haven't seen it yet, here is the 'Affogato'. Its literal translation is 'drowned'! In  the same way that words and phrases sound sexier in French and Italian, I think food does too. Imagine ordering 'drowned' in your local restaurant in Peckham! It wouldn't have quite the same ring to it!


Ok, that's my lot for now. Sleep well, and I'll be back soon

Nite nite
Slimbo xx





No comments:

Post a Comment