Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 195 & 196 - My thoughts on veg and Saturday night & Sunday Lunch

Saturday in the cafe was a pretty standard affair. The usual suspects came and went and we still couldn't seat anyone outside! I really am fearful that the works will not be done in time for Saturday's fiesta. That would be disastrous for us....

We had 5 tables in on Saturday night, a mixture of both 'all you can eat' and my set menu, so I was a chuffed bunny! Since the day our doors opened, we have always struggled to get a good crowd in on a Saturday night. It's completely different from England where that seems to be the night to go to a restaurant. There are probably several contributory factors, but whatever the reason, there's not a lot we can do. Having said that, numbers in the restaurant are still picking up, so we must be doing something right......  It has taken us three long years to really get established, but slowly, slowly, the numbers are rising. A couple of weeks ago we popped over to a hotel bar after work to have a quick drink with our friend (and landlady) and started talking to a local freelance hairdresser. It was so nice to hear here telling us that she had heard so many good things about our restaurant. She had no reason to blow smoke up our arse, she was merely letting us know that we had a very good reputation with the people she mixes with. Cushty!

On to today. Compared to last weeks amazing service, this week was a bit of a damp squib! Although a decent turnout of 38 covers, it didn't quite match the previous Sunday. None the less, a smooth service, lots of good comments and 18 have already booked again for next week! Here are some pictures of today's prep and food...

Cauliflower cheese


The plum and apple crumble filling


Today's veg


The crackling...


The summer fruit topping for the cheesecake


The star of the show...

So, another Sunday lunch comes and goes. I keep saying it , but they seem to come around so quickly.

As you will have probably read earlier, this Saturday is the 'Moors & Christians' parade and we have a full restaurant booked. I will be doing a buffet style meal, but want to change it a little from last year as quite a few of the people have re-booked and I don't want them thinking that I don't have an imagination! I made a lovely stuffed pork loin, some char grilled chicken, a couple of different paellas and 3 or 4 salads to name but a few dishes, but this time round, I'm struggling for inspiration. 

My food head is at the moment focusing on trying to come up with interesting dishes using as much veg as I can. I have recently discovered a love for veg. I never really grew up eating much of it, and as I got older and ate more and more over boiled pub cabbage and soggy carrots etc, it put me right off. My mum was (and is) a decent cook, (if you're reading this mum, it's my birthday soon!), but I much preferred her 'tagliatelle with cream and tomato sauce' than a plate of veggies! I also think I was put off veg at a very early age by my nanny. Yes, I had a nanny! I don't remember what I did wrong, but I was once forced to eat a plate of fried courgettes until they were gone. I hated them! Thinking about it now, it is perfectly understandable that as an Italian nanny, she would cook fried courgettes. At the time it was the most alien thing I had ever eaten, but now it sounds quite nice! Since taking an interest in cooking, and therefore understanding how veg should be cooked, I've discovered that I really like most of them. And, as I am presently changing my eating patterns to try and get away from the bad habits I have, I find myself trying and experimenting with them more and more. Maybe I am a little different to most, but sometimes I like nothing better than a plate of asparagus simply dressed with Parmesan and balsamic. It used to sound like boring food to me, but I've realised that most veg has so much more flavour than most foods. For me, its just a question of which of those strong flavours I like the most, and how to get the best out of them. I'm slowly compiling quite a vast recipe list for veg, not just as an accompaniment, but as the main component of the dish. I promise you, that boring as you may think a plate of veg is, it can be amazing. There will definitely be a chapter in the book purely dedicated to veg!

Okay, that's enough of my waffle and I'm off to watch a little Nigel Slater before bed. Along with Mr Oliver, he is one of my main food 'heroes'.

Nite nite all
speak soon
Jimbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment