Monday, December 24, 2012

Days 263 - 269 - News, pictures and a festive message!

Well, it's Christmas eve, we have just finished our last day in the downstairs Cafe and have just got Christmas day left in the restaurant and then it will be all over! It's been a bit weird this week really. I've just been waiting for it to end!!

Last Saturday was a good night. We had a finger buffet for a ladies 65th birthday party and it was a very enjoyable evening. We have had some groups in the past who can hardly muster a smile and who have lost any manners they were shown as children, but Saturday's party goers were the complete opposite. It is so nice to have a group of people in the restaurant who appreciate their food, service and surroundings, and every one of them was polite and very complimentary. Such a refreshing change!
I listed the menu in my last blog, so I will show you some of the finished food...









I thoroughly enjoyed all the preparation, all the plating and all the eating of the food that wasn't eaten!!! Now that our new venture will give a little more freedom than the restaurant ever did, I may start to advertise a buffet service. It's what I love to do and with the feedback we got on Saturday, maybe it's the way forward...

Sticking with food for a minute or two, here are some of the things I have been eating this week...

...the left over meatballs from Saturday night with some spaghetti


A rocket, mozzarella, avocado and cherry tomato salad


and some pasta with spinach and pine nuts...


I made a terrine yesterday that hope fully will set in time for Christmas day as it is one of the starters! Here's how I made it.....

Started with some minced pork, apricots, sweated leeks and pistachios

Lined a loaf tin with streaky bacon


Blanched some asparagus


and filled it in! Cooked it for about an hour and fifteen minutes, then weighted it down and it's now sitting in the fridge waiting to be ordered!


I'll post some pictures when its cut.....

I had a little fun on Sunday and had a go at making whopper Yorkshire puddings again. Every now and then I get the urge! Here is one of the big ones from yesterday...


While on the subject of big ones, I was asked by Laura's dad to make him some breakfast as he was very hungry. This is what he got...!



I also thought I'd garnish the potato and leek soup with my attempt at a Christmas tree. Art never was my strong point!

Here is an apple pie we made for a customer today...


Okay, okay, enough food pictures. Thought I'd let you know that they have FINALLY finished 
the roadworks outside the Cafe! Its a complete cowboy bodge up, but nevertheless, it's finished. Not sure if you'd call it 'sod's law' or irony that it's finished just as we are about to depart to pastures new, but here's what it looks like up the street now...


Well that's about it for now, except to thank you all for supporting me and my blog so far and to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a spiffing 2013. It's going to be a massive year for me personally and I hope you will all keep following my progress. Who knows... I may even have time to finish  writing my book....

Thanks again for reading and I'll speak to you all soon

Jimbo xx









No comments:

Post a Comment