Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Days 257- 263 - Hello again!

Well, hello again. Just thought I'd keep in touch. Nothing much happening at work for the last few days... Calpe is sooooooooooooooo quiet at the moment, it's like a ghost town at times. I spoke to the guy next door who owns a sport shop and he hasn't taken a penny for the last 2 days. Nothing at all... Times are definitely hard at the mo. Enough of this doom and gloom though and on to pastures new!

Only 7 days left! Wow, that seems really weird. It's all we've done since moving to Spain and now, all of a sudden we won't be there anymore...., a very strange feeling. It's a little sad as we have put so much time and effort into making it a success, but the opportunity offered to us was too good to pass up. So on one hand it will be a sad day, but on the other, an exciting time lies ahead.

We have sent our menus to the printers and they should be ready in a couple of days, so looking forward to that. Although I'm having to compromise and cook 'Wetherspoons' type food, I will still be using fresh produce and still put the same passion into every plate of food that leaves the kitchen. Think I'm gonna stick a weekly special on as well to slowly show my new customers what I cook. We'll see how it goes down...

I'm quite excited as on Saturday we have private party at the restaurant for a lady's 65th birthday and she has requested a finger buffet. Right up my street! Although she has asked for a couple of specific things, I basically have carte blanche do create what I like. It's what I love doing, so well chuffed with that. It's ironic though that it will be the restaurants last night of trading, (we will be open on Christmas Day), and it's the first booking of this type! Typical!

Here's what I'll be making....

Individual Caesar salads
Goats cheese and caramelised onion crostini
Lemon and coriander chicken skewers
Smoked mackerel pate crostini
Individual mini cheesecakes
Tomato, basil & mozzarella pinchos
A mixed sausage selection
Smoked salmon and cream cheese blinis with caviar
A quiche
Individual mini cheeseburgers
Meatballs

I did have a mini Greek salad on a skewer as well, but the customer wanted cheeseburgers instead! Even with that slight adjustment, I must say what a pleasure it is that they don't just want Vol au vents, sausage rolls, cheese and pineapple sticks etc! I look forward to preparing it all on Saturday and will take some pictures of the finished spread for you to feast your eyes upon when it's finished...

I'm also doing the food for the Sports bar on New Years Eve, so I'll update you with that a little nearer the time. It will probably be more like the buffets we are all used to, but I will put my twist on it without making it too poncy for my new punters!

Away from food and on to my weight loss. I have to be honest and say that I have not been as strict over the last few weeks and I need to snap out of my current frame of mind and get back to doing what I was doing. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but I haven't yet done so. Although I am exercising regularly on the gym and cross trainer at the moment, I'm using that as an 'excuse' to not be strict about what I'm eating. Just because I'm exercising and burning calories, it doesn't mean that I can relax my concentration and slide down that slippery slope again. I have PROMISED myself that I will never get into that downhill spiral again, so I need to focus again, and quickly. I make no excuses, I have just been slack, and hopefully this public slagging off of myself will kick me back into gear....!

Right, I'm off to eat a bargain bucket to myself, so I'll speak to you all soon!

Only kidding, there are no KFC's within 30 miles of here!

Speak soon and thanks for reading 

Jimbo xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim, the buffet menu looks great. Abs
    olutely nothing on there I wouldn't eat myself:)

    I've really enjoyed your blog and hoping it will encourage me to get back in the kitchen more. Also all the Clarky's wish you and your family best of luck in your new venture.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howay Ian! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in Geordie land and it's not too cold up there? Thanks for the kind words and I hope to buy you a pint one day in the new sports bar. You'd hate it... 5 screens showing every game.... ;0)
      Love to the family and have a great Christmas

      Delete