Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Days 246 - 256 It has been sometime since I blogged....

Its me! Hello! It has been some time since I last blogged. My offer my humble apologies, but as there really hasn't been anything worth talking about, I thought it best to say nothing!

The road works continue outside our door, (you know, the ones that were supposed to take place between Sept 3rd and October 20th)! These muppets really haven't a clue what they're doing.....

Work has been very quiet recently, but to be honest, I am so focused on the venture that lies ahead, I am not really bothered! We've had a couple of Christmas lunches in the last week that have gone very well, but apart form those, there isn't much to write home about.

I had a shock on the scales this week..., I gained 3lbs. Not a happy bunny, but only have myself to blame as I haven't been careful enough with my food intake. I've got into a mindset that says 'don't worry about eating that, you can burn it off later on the bike'. All well and good, except if I don't get on the bike...........

 I need to get out of this frame of mind, and get back to basics. Basically, I need to start from scratch and get back to doing the things that worked for me in the beginning. Although it can be difficult at times with all the food preparation and tasting I have to do, I just have to refocus.

I have a cross trainer now, and I aim to do 20 minutes a day. If after a couple of weeks I find myself becoming fitter, I will up it to 30 and see how it goes.

I haven't been too creative with the menu at work recently as it's been so quiet that I find it difficult to motivate myself into thinking up interesting dishes. What's the point of creating food that isn't going to sell... I may as well just throw money down the drain. We had a women's lunch group in today, so I could express myself a little bit. Here's the menu I prepared...

Starters
Tomato & Basil bruschetta
Home made mushroom soup with truffle oil
Goats cheese, caramelised onion and Serrano ham tartlet with balsamic reduction
Mushrooms pan fried in a garlic infused butter on toast
Char grilled vegetables

Mains
Confit of duck leg served with chilli spiced noodles
Pasta with courgette and cream
Pan fried Cod with crushed new potatoes and pea puree
Chicken & Chorizo hunters stew with crusty bread
Spaghetti with deconstructed pesto

Desserts
Home made Baileys and chocolate cheesecake
Apple and plum crumble
Banana split
Ice cream
Home made Sherry trifle

Ironically, 4 out of the 5 starters on offer were ordered by the 9 diners, but for main course, 7 had the cod and 2 had the duck! So, my creativity wasn't really needed after all!

The menu at the new venue will be much simpler. It will be more along the lines of a 'Wetherspoons' type. I will put on weekly specials, and will try to incorporate as much fresh produce and ideas as I can. Once we have finalised the menu, I will shove it on here for you to see.

I tried my hand at making a pate this week. I know it sounds weird that someone who has been cooking for so long has never made one, but to be honest, they're not my most favourite thing in the world, and I usually make a terrine. I did however give it a go, and was most pleased with the result.
I decided to do a chicken liver pate with brandy. It was a really simple recipe, and now I have done it, I think I will put my own little twist on one next time. Here's how it looked...


Be careful if you have long hair, as this really flames when you add the brandy! Fortunately, I do not have that problem!

Here's the finished product...

I made a second pate for tasting purposes, but by the time I took this picture, there wasn't much left!



I am not an offal fan, but it tasted very nice. Next time I will be adding more brandy and a little sweetness I think...

While uploading these 2 pictures, I remembered that I had taken a snap of the chicken and chorizo stew that I made today, so I've stuck this on as well!   


We have a Christmas music quiz at the restaurant tomorrow night, so as I have no idea how many people may or may not turn up, I am just going to make a beef casserole type affair with a lump of topside that I cut of my Sunday joint this week. I will post pictures when it is finished.

Until then, I will trot off and bid you a very good evening!

Sleep well all, and I will make a concious effort to blog a bit more often!

Hasta la pasta!
Jimbo


No comments:

Post a Comment