Monday, January 28, 2013

Days 300 - 305 Things are going very well at work!

So, week four at Saffy's is over and it's been a blast so far. All the staff are very nice, Saffy is as laid back as they come, and the customers seem to have taken to us as well. Happy days!

The week started pretty slowly, but gained momentum as it neared the weekend. That has seemed to be the pattern so far. We have been quieter in the mornings and in the early part of the week, but it gets busier in the evenings and over the weekend. This week we had 40 bookings for Sunday lunch, and ended up with 59 covers. Sadly we turned away a party of 8 quite early during service as there was no where for them to sit. Although we have an outside courtyard with extra seating, it's not quite warm enough to sit outside yet. When the weather warms a little, we will increase from 44 seats to around 80, so who knows what sort of totals we could be doing.....

I decided to make a chicken liver pate as one of the starters this week. Offal isn't my favourite food, in fact, I don't like it at all, but I can tolerate a good tasty pate. It helps when I know whats in it! I made it  in a loaf tin, (not ideal, but all I had), and this is how it turned out...

Not the greatest looking slab of pate, but you get the idea. Here's how it looked as a finished dish...


Having not served a pate at Saffy's before, I wasn't too sure how it would go down. I needn't have worried...., we sold out! I know it's only early days, but so far I am so pleased with the move. After the last 3 1/2 years of financial struggle, we can finally put a few quid in my wallet at the end of the week. All the stress has completely gone. Although we are working a few more hours, it's worth it for the peace of mind and stress free life...

Had a day off today and managed to have a coffee over looking the port in Altea. The journey was made more interesting by the fact that as we left Calpe, we noticed that 'Maryvilla', (an urbanisation on the side of a mountain about a mile away), was on fire! It started at around 3am this morning, and as we picked Harrison up from school this afternoon, it was still burning! Apparently, last nights strong winds had blown a pylon over, and thatw as the cause of the fire. A couple of our friends live up there, so we phoned to see if they were okay. One of the couples had been evacuated at 3am, and the other couple were still asleep when we phoned!!!!

I'm making a bit of a Thai inspired brothy type soup for din dins tonight, but as yet there are no photos, so once it's finished, I'll take some and post them on here.

I think that's about it for now. I'd best be off to start peeling some prawns...

Speak to you all soon and thanks for reading

Jimbo


No comments:

Post a Comment